problems configureing apcupsd as slave. Help?

I'm trying to configure apcupsd for master/slave operation on a local
network. i'm using the examples in /usr/doc(!)/apcupsd/examples/, and I
notice that when I follow the examples for master and slave setup both
machines pause for a few minutes, then error, usually with a message to
the efect of being unable to release shared memory.

Interestingly, after a couple stop/start cycles both machines are up and
running. Foo?