Re: Updating db.root

From DNS & Bind, 3rd Edition p.68 :

"Besides your local information, the name server also needs to know
where the name servers are for the root domain.  This information must
be retrieved from the Internet host ftp.rs.internic.net (198.41.0.7).
Use anonymous ftp to retrieve the file named.root from the domain
subdirectory.  (named.root is the same file we've been calling db.cache.
Just rename named.root to db.cache after you've retrieved it.)"

And from p. 141:

"A good practice is to check your db.cache file every month or two.  In
Chapter 4, we told you to get the servers by ftping to
ftp.rs.internic.net.  And that's probably your best method to keep
current.

If you have on your system a copy of dig, a utility that works a lot
like nslookup and is included in the BIND distribution, you can retrieve
the current list of root just by running:

% dig @a.root-servers.net . ns > db.cache
"

Hopefully this helps.  Pick up a copy.  Read it.  Ignore the crap about
BIND 4, you shouldn't be running it anyway.  :)

--
Nate Duehr <nate@natetech.com>