Re: init question

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Tom Glass wrote:
> Bruce Sass wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Tom Glass wrote:
> > > I'm attempting to modify runlevel 5 to start my own app.  As a start, I
> > > deleted all links from /etc/rc5.d and replaced them with links copied in
> > > from /etc/rc1.d.  (i copied rc5.d into my home directory first in case I
> > > need it later).  I thought when I did this that init 5 would now behave
> > > exactly as init 1, but it doesn't.  init 5 (typed in as root from a
> > > console) doesn't cause any error, but it also doesn't do anything that I
> > > can tell.  init 1 on the other hand closes X and starts single user
> > > mode.  Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

The "runlevel" command will tell you where you are.

Did you force a re-read of inittab, "telinit q" or "telinit 5"?
(I'm not sure if it matters,since ld is already setup, but it doesn't
hurt anything :)

This worked for me:
	$ editor /etc/inittab	# add l8:8:wait:..., and some tty's
	$ cp -a /etc/rc{1,8}.d
	$ telinit 8
	$ runlevel
	8 S

<...>
> understand correctly, the K links are only executed when I _leave_ the
> runlevel. so when I remove it from rc5.d then nothing should be executed
> on starting runlevel 5, right?

The scripts get executed when entering a runlevel, so long as the
runlevel is defined in /etc/inittab (the "l?:?:wait:/etc/init.d/rc ?"
stuff).  It is kinda like, "cd /etc/rcN.d; ./K* stop; ./S* start"

- Bruce