Re: dhcpd 0.70-5 Incompatible with RR in Raleigh, NC?

Dave Slotter wrote:

>         I'm a bit confused by all of this, because dhcp-0.70 is supposed to only
>         work with 2.0.x kernels, which you have, and 1.3.18 is supposed to only
>         work with 2.2.x kernels.  Maybe they changed the way 2.0.36 works? (from
>         previous 2.0.x kernels.)

> Well, I have been having some difficulties on this installation. I don't know
> if it is the newer hardware or having set it up for dual-boot or what. The
> dual-boot configuration boots the system up into a DOS config menu and under
> no user-intervention starts up Linux via linload. I would have preferred using
> lilo, but either I am too unknowledgable of its operation or it just simply
> doesn't support booting into DOS/Windows (which I wanted to be able to do on
> occasion).

Yeah, you can boot dos/windows with lilo, use something like:

      other = /dev/hda3
        label = dos

I've done this with Win95 and Win98 before.

>         Unfortunately, you can't use these as-is without upgrading at least part
>         of your system to the latest Debian.  (They are compiled for a newer
>         glibc.)

> See above comment. Is that what is making dhcpcd-1.3.18 work on my machine?
> Could it be causing dhcp-0.70 to fail?

I'm guessing they backported the new stuff in 2.2.x to 2.0.36.  It's
basically just the raw socket interface that it depends on.

>         The package for dhcpcd-1.3.17 is at:
>
>         http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/frozen/main/binary-i386/net/dhcpcd_1.3.17pl2-8.deb
>
>         You might have to change /etc/init.d/dhcpcd to us the right dhcpcd
>         binary.

> What I did was probably "evil" in the Debian way of doing things, but then
> again, Debian wasn't helping me to solve it either, but I just moved the
> old dhcpcd program aside and put the new one in its place.

I've done this before too. :)

>         The package that I maintain is "pump" (again only in the newer debian) -
>         it is the exact same program that Red Hat 6.x is using, found in:
>
>         http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/frozen/main/binary-i386/net/pump_0.7.3-2.deb
>
>         Unfortunately, you can't use these as-is without upgrading at least part
>         of your system to the latest Debian.

> How does pump differ from dhcpcd? Are there any advantages/disadvantages?

dhcpcd-1.3.18 was a rewrite of dhcpcd-0.70.  I didn't like the new code,
it seemed poorly written, and wasn't written in a very careful manner.
(In early versions, there were some rather stupid segfaults.)

The pump code seems a lot more clean and better organised to me.

The whole story, an the reason that I'm confused by the situation, is
that something in the kernel itself was changed, causing dhcpcd-0.70 to
stop working.  (It wouldn't let you give a device the address 0.0.0.0.)
and dhcpcd-1.3.x relied on some new interface that changed in 2.2.x (but
it may have been backported by now).

(The support on dhcpcd is rather questionable too - 0.70 was written buy
a guy in Japan who seems to have disappeared, and 1.3.x is by a guy in
Russia who said he did it for his own use and wouldn't support it.)

> Thank you for your help, Steve.

Any time.