Re: dhcpd 0.70-5 Incompatible with RR in Raleigh, NC?

	I'm a bit confused by all of this, because dhcp-0.70 is supposed to only
	work with 2.0.x kernels, which you have, and 1.3.18 is supposed to only
	work with 2.2.x kernels.  Maybe they changed the way 2.0.36 works? (from
	previous 2.0.x kernels.)

Well, I have been having some difficulties on this installation. I don't know
if it is the newer hardware or having set it up for dual-boot or what. The
dual-boot configuration boots the system up into a DOS config menu and under
no user-intervention starts up Linux via linload. I would have preferred using
lilo, but either I am too unknowledgable of its operation or it just simply
doesn't support booting into DOS/Windows (which I wanted to be able to do on
occasion).

	You have Debian 2.1 installed, BTW. (slink).  The next version of Debian
	has dhcpcd_1.3.17pl2 in it, which I no longer maintain.. (Actually, it
	has both 0.70 and 1.3.17, and it would try to run 0.70 on your kernel.)

I looked at my Debian CDs earlier and yes, they are 2.1. After I installed
from the CD set, I upgraded the rest of the packages via the net.

	Unfortunately, you can't use these as-is without upgrading at least part
	of your system to the latest Debian.  (They are compiled for a newer
	glibc.)

See above comment. Is that what is making dhcpcd-1.3.18 work on my machine?
Could it be causing dhcp-0.70 to fail?

	The package for dhcpcd-1.3.17 is at:

	http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/frozen/main/binary-i386/net/dhcpcd_1.3.17pl2-8.deb

	You might have to change /etc/init.d/dhcpcd to us the right dhcpcd
	binary.

What I did was probably "evil" in the Debian way of doing things, but then
again, Debian wasn't helping me to solve it either, but I just moved the
old dhcpcd program aside and put the new one in its place.

	The package that I maintain is "pump" (again only in the newer debian) -
	it is the exact same program that Red Hat 6.x is using, found in:

	http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/frozen/main/binary-i386/net/pump_0.7.3-2.deb

	Unfortunately, you can't use these as-is without upgrading at least part
	of your system to the latest Debian.

How does pump differ from dhcpcd? Are there any advantages/disadvantages?

	# To upgrade all or part of your system:

	You can try adding:

	  deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian potato main contrib non-free

	to /etc/apt/sources.list and do:

	  apt-get update
	  apt-get install pump

	This would pull down the new libc, and other packages that pump depend
	on.

	  apt-get install kernel-image-2.2.14

	would upgrade the kernel.

	  apt-get dist-upgrade

	would upgrade the entire system...  But it require downloading a lot of
	stuff.. (If you have DSL you can probably manage though.)

I've got a cable modem and have managed to max it out at 2 megabits. ;-)

	I'd recommend IRCing to irc.debian.org and sitting on the #debian
	channel, in case something goes wrong..

	 ##

	The other option is to wait till the 2.2 CDs come out and upgrade then.

	Steve Dunham
	dunham@debian.org

Thank you for your help, Steve.

-Dave Slotter