Re: Debian Potato & NIS+

"nate@firetrail.com" <nate@firetrail.com> writes:

> I'm wondering what kind of support(if any) potato has for NIS+ (NIS
> w/shadow passwd support)  I tried playin with NIS+ on slink about a year
> ago and hosed many machines during libc upgrades.  because potato is
> glibc2.1, has anyone got a network running with potato boxen and NIS+
> ? and possibly NFS as well.

There are NIS+ client packages available for potato, but they are not
in the normal distribution. See
  http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/nisplus/index.html
The following sources.list lines allow you to apt-get the packages/source
  deb http://www.realbodo.de/ debian/
  deb-src http://www.realbodo.de/ debian/

I have had NIS+ running on a couple of machines quite satisfactorily
for a few months now, and plan to switch all our other Debian boxes
from plain NIS as I upgrade them to potato over the summer.

--

  Gilbert Laycock                 email:          gtl1@mcs.le.ac.uk
  Maths and Computer Science,     http://www.mcs.le.ac.uk/~glaycock