Re: diald/pppd refused connection--PAP auth?

Quoting Kenward Vaughan (kaynjay@igalaxy.net):
> Diald is my nemesis... Various attempts to get it working have failed to
> connect me.  I'm using the stock conf files with the only changes being the
> use of the ppp provider script for connecting, and trying to change "noauth"
> to "auth" in the diald.options file to match the options I see in
> /etc/ppp/ppp_options.  PPP connects with PAP authorization.
>
> syslog messages I see immediately after connecting are:
>
> Jun 14 22:13:07 kaynjay diald[29726]: Running pppd (pid = 29869).
> Jun 14 22:13:07 kaynjay diald[29869]: Running pppd: /usr/sbin/pppd
> -defaultroute -detach modem crtscts mtu 1500 mru 1500 netmask 255.255.255.0
> auth nopersist
> Jun 14 22:13:07 kaynjay pppd[29869]: The remote system is required to
> authenticate itself
> Jun 14 22:13:07 kaynjay pppd[29869]: but I couldn't find any suitable secret
> (password) for it to use to do so.
> Jun 14 22:13:07 kaynjay pppd[29869]: (None of the available passwords would
> let
> it use an IP address.)

Apologies if I pick up the wrong end of the stick, but diald just
automates the PPP link for you? So I'm not sure why you want to
make the peer (your ISP?) authorise itself to you. In other words,
just as your ppp provider script has noauth in it, diald needs the
same treatment (however that is configured).

The reason "auth" is in the ppp options file (and must be left there)
is explained in the second paragraph of SECURITY in man pppd.

Cheers,