Re: purging X from debian installation

regarding perlmagick/imagemagick--

On Sat, Jun 10, 2000 at 06:31:18PM +0930, John Pearson wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 11:25:19PM -0500, w trillich wrote
> > i'll wind up reformatting and reinstalling, i can tell.
> >
> > i'm trying to get xwindows stuff off the hard drive, and
> > use only ncurses console/telnet/ssh interaction, and
> > server software -- but when i try to zap the xlib6 packages
> > (xlib6 and xlib6g) it wants to remove elvis, perlmagick/
> > libmagick and a few other non-X-dependent items:
> >
> [snip]

[snip]

> If it's purely the space you're concerned about
> you could consider using nvi in place of elvis,
> but then you miss out on some of the fancy stuff
> (like X support) that you probably like about
> elvis.  Of course, this won't help you much
> with perlmagick.

i don't use X at all any more. it's got cool stuff
and would be great if i needed it, but i'm just looking
for server functionality now (i still use my mac for
the graphical stuff). i'm "apt-get --purge remove XYZ"
until something breaks... :)

but the perlmagick stuff has me a bit baffled. i've
been to their website and looked for all the dox i
can find in /usr/{share/,}doc/*magick*/ but don't
find anything on imagemagick or the commands that
are available. from documented perl examples i've
discovered little more than
	my $q=Image::Magick->new;
	$q->Set(size=>'45x500');
	$q->Read('gradation:#660000-#006666');
so i know how to create a gradation, but how do
i make a flat blue graphic? how do i specify
a simple checkerboard or horizontal-line overlay?

any pointers are welcome...!