Re: non-contiguous vs Fragmentation

"Joe Smith" wrote:

> I know Linux uses the ext2 filesystem which is supposed to be
> anti-fragmenting.

It fragments when it has to (as opposed to `always' like
windows).

> during boot up, I see my hard drive is 9.7 % non - contiguous.  I'm not sure
> what this means.

I assume that 9.7% of the file space is fragmented.

> What then is the difference between non-contiguous and fragmentation?

Don't know.
>                            How can my hard drive be 9.7 % non-contiguous if
> the ext2 filesystem is supposed to be anti-fragmenting?

It's not _anti_ -fragmenting.  If your disk is getting full, it
may start to get fragmented.

Someone have the URL to the good/bad secretaries analogy?

> Is there a way to make my hard drive contiguous again?  I thought that there
> were no linux defragmenters.

See the defrag package in section admin (I've never used it).
--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist          <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Maurice Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada