Re: WinModems (was Re: network)

> It would be _really_ weird for the WinModem mfrs to sign an NDA under which
> they couldn't release _their_own_specs_.

The DSP software is very tightly coupled to the hardware, and the DSP
vendor reportedly feels that the specs reveal too much about their
software.  I suspect that their real motive is to lock in the manufacturers
by preventing them from showing their specs to another software vendor.
The argument that the specs reveal the software vendor's secrets might not
hold up in court, but who is going to risk it?

> Why bother is if you're stuck with a WinModem, and are underfunded, or
> feel "too inefficient", to buy a second, fully-leaded modem.

Evidently no one with the connections to get the specs and the skill to
write the driver has been in that position.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)