Re: ipchains latency

10-30 seconds for telnet? Even on a 386/33 this is just way too much delay to be
accounting for in packet filtering rules. I would suspect something else, like ident
checking which is waiting to time out and reverse-dns lookups timing out. Often these
two things are used to gather info to log about who's getting into your machine. If
they aren't there it can take a while for the lookup to time out. Check into that.