Re: dependencies rpoblem

On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, Sven Burgener wrote:
> >I had no problems ditching exim and installing postfix a few months
> ago.
>
> What advantages / plus-points does postfix have over exim?

Secure design, using chroot jails (even in Debian's default installation),
only the postfix 'master' daemon runs as root, all others components of the
mail system (smtp daemons, queue management, rewriting, etc) run as separate
processes under the user Postfix and inside the chroot jail.

Also, Postfix is fast, very very fast. And quite easy to configure, as long
as you do read the FAQ and enclosed documentation. Postfix is also very
stable, and the Debian package is well maintained (I don't know about exim's
Debian package).

> I have only been using exim for a week now. Ran sendmail before, but as
> I wasn't able to configure it to my (simple) needs, I switched to exim.

Exim is more powerful than postfix in certain areas, but unless you need to
do massive header rewrites, or MTA-level filters, postfix (+ procmail or
maildrop if you need filtering) should be enough.

  Henrique Holschuh