Unidentified subject!

|> Hmm, ok, but the networks file is stock, set up by the debian
|> install. I have upgraded the kernel from 2.0.38 to 2.2.15 - would
|> this be the "route" of the problem?

Yes, this is why you're getting the SIOCADDRT error messages.

Actually, one of the changes between slink and potato that's not that
easy to find out about (it seems to me anyway) is that the use of the
/etc/initd./networking script is deprecated in favour of a new system
in which the commands ifup and ifdown (run at boot time) bring the
necessary interfaces up or down and do the necessary
configuration. The behaviour of those commands is controlled in turn
by files in the directory /etc/network/ the most relevant one being
the file `interfaces'.

The default settings in this file seem to assume a 2.2.x series
kernel.  Editing the file in a minimal way (uncommenting the line for
the loopback interface, putting in the relevant local numbers) and
deleting or re-naming the old /etc/init.d/networking script should
take care of the error messages as well as bringing you to the happy
state of not using any `deprecated' mechanisms.

The advantages of this system are discussed briefly in the man page
for ifup/ifdown,

Jim