Re: Anyone have kernel-source-2.2.14.deb

Ron Rademaker <ron@wep.tudelft.nl> wrote:
>On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, Marvin Stodolsky wrote:
>> For reasons not yet explained, kernel-source-2.2.14.deb is
>> not at the DEB respositories though its Package WWW page is
>> still up at www.debian.org.  I need to do a compile with
>> 2.2.14 source, to support both OSS sound  and the ltmodem.o
>> winmodem binary, which doesn't (yet work) with 2.2.15.  Does
>> anyone have a kernel-source-2.2.14.deb that I could FTP in.
>
>Why do you want a .deb for kernel sources?? (Is there such a thing as a
>debian package for kernel sources anyway??)

It's a perfectly reasonable thing to want, since that way you get
Debianized kernel-image packages with any settings that the Debian
kernel maintainers consider useful (i.e. the settings in the distributed
kernel-image packages). Such packages exist, as you would see if you did
a simple 'apt-cache search kernel-source'.

I believe 2.2.14 may have been removed due to security holes, but I'm
not sure. You might try using make-kpkg (in kernel-package) on the
normal kernel source, which will give you a Debian package. If you want
the Debian default configuration, try getting the 2.2.15 source package
and copying its config.h.