new Debian user

Hi all,

I am new to the Debian fold and I am afraid that I am having trouble
adjusting from my RedHat/Mandrake familiarity. Some of these questions may
not be so Debian related so sorry in advance.

I am in the process of setting up a potato test-cycle 1 system that I
bought from some very nice people at the Linux Conference in London
recently for £7 including source. A good deal I would say :) Can anybody
recommend a Debian specific users guide (for the not so newbie)?

I have an advansys scsi controller and 4GB IBM scsi hard drive. I also
have a brand new Maxtor Ultra ATA 66 29GB drive with promise controller. I
installed the system to the scsi drive without a hitch. The boot up script
system is similar enough but where is chkconfig? I get a really strange
NFS timeout error complaining about AF_INET not being set, any ideas? I
would like to install Debian to the ATA66 drive but I can't find a kernel
compile option to do this. The prebuilt IDE kernel image recognizes this
but cannot mount it as there is no filesystem on it. Do I have to download
a patch to the kernel sources provided?

I cannot get X to play nicely with my Creative Labs Geforce DDR. Is there
some utility besides the horrendous xf86config that I can use?

I really like the attention to detail that is apparent in Debian. I like
the package system, I just need to read up on it more, I guess that's what
the FAQ is for.

thanks in advance, Anthony