Re: esound (woody) broken?

On Sun, Jun 11, 2000 at 01:01:48PM +0200, Dietmar wrote:

> I'm using xmms and it doesn't change anything whether I choose the
> OSS-driver or esound.  In fact I figured out that gnome is not
> responsible for it in a special way, because similar things happen
> when I use fvwm95 without gnome. Whenever I'm running a sound-device
> consuming program and I try to start a second one, the second one will
> freeze as long as the sound device (/dev/dsp) is given free by the
> first one. (e.g. I run an mp3-player and try to start xblast: the
> introductory tcl/tk-script of xblast is running fine, but after
> pressing "Start XBlast" nothing happens until the mp3-player finishes
> playing) Under gnome this has the effect that everything freezes.
>
> As I don't think that such a behaviour is intended I'd be glad to get
> any advice how to repair this.

The fact that XBlast freezes is intended and correct.  The bug is in
XBlast.  If it is a C program, the fix is trivial (opening /dev/dsp with
modes O_WRONLY | O_NONBLOCK rather than just O_WRONLY).  If it's not a C
program, things could be more difficult.

This should really *not* freeze gnome.  I would try upgrading gnome,
seeing if you can reproduce the bug, and then filing a bug report if you
can.

Cheers,
Chris

--
pick, pack, pock, puck: like drops of water in a fountain falling
softly in the brimming bowl.