Re: rm -R /usr/

On Sat, Jun 10, 2000 at 08:31:56PM -0400, Jacob I. Stowell wrote:
> hello
>
> i am a new debian user and i just learned a hard lesson.  I guess it is
> a bad idea to issue the following command:
>
> rm -R /usr/

Reminds me of the time I did an "rm -rf * /" as root.

Here's what happened:

 - I blew away my root partition.
 - I blew away the mounted disk I was trying to clear.

I was doing some partition shuffling, so I'd mounted the rest of my
partitions read-only.  I was trying to restore a backup and had botched
the process, so the partition I had mounted rw was the one I was trying
to delete.

Because I was running admin mode, I had booted off a boot image.

The net result was that I didn't actually do any damage to my system --
the boot image was still safe on disk, nothing but the one partition I
was trying to kill was writable.  I *did* have to reboot to get a useful
system (interesting moving around when all you've got is your current
shell process running).

The lesson:  if you're going to do something potentially dangerous to
your system, minimize the potential for danger first.

I personally vote *against* aliasing 'rm' to 'rm -i' or similar.  It's
far too easy to fall into bad habits, like counting on the fact that
'rm' is in fact aliased, or typing '-f' as a matter of course, or
running as root.  None of which will do you any good, and all of which
become difficult to unlearn.

Rather, I do one of the following:

 - Sit on my hands for 10 seconds before issuing any 'rm' as root.
   Literally.

 - Do the following:

    $ su -c 'chown -R <tree> karsten.karsten'
    $ rm -rf <tree>

...with both commands being issued from my user account.

The first changes ownership of the directory tree I want to nuke to some
unprivileged user.  The second nukes the tree.  I get two chances to see
if I'm doing something stupid.  If I make a typo the first time, I've
got a mild PITA to restore ownerships.  If I make a typo the second
time, chances are I can't do anything.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>         http://www.netcom.com/~kmself
  Evangelist, Opensales, Inc.                       http://www.opensales.org