Re: Notice: GR to remove non-free support from Debian

Syrus Nemat-Nasser wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> >
> > I'm worried about loosing contrib, waisting _more_ time
> > supporting some non-free or contrib software, and the explosions
> > of badly-made and incompatible deb packages that may result.
>
> Point taken. I, however, am not worried about this at all. If the core
> Debian distribution is bulletproof, other distributions can choose to
> provide added value such as those extra packages that you might
> need.

Yeah, but I didn't join Debian to use another distribution based
on it.  I don't think shifting our user base to Debian-based
distributions makes us better.

> like today's Debian because it provides the best support for scientific
> computing that I have found.

Same here.
>                              I have always liked Debian because of the
> commitment to free software. Anyway, whatever the outcome of this GR, I
> will still be using Debian.

We'll see if this causes a project split if it passes.  I hope
not, but if it does I might end up on the other side.

:-(

Peter
--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist          <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Maurice Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada