Can't get php4 to work with Apache

I've got Apache 1.3.12 installed and working.  Loaded the deb package.  I installed PHP4 using the deb package also.  But when I try to bring up a php page in my web browser, it gives me an unknown file type message.  But I have looked in the srm.conf file and I have put 'AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .php3' in there.  What's the deal?  I would like to be able to use the debs for convenience, but I'll go back to source if I have to.  I have looked at php.ini and compared it to one on another server running Red Hat.  Everything looks right.  I have restarted apache but no good.

I installed the following debs:

apache 1.3.12-1
apache-common 1.3.12-1
php4 4.0rc1-2