Which "baud"?

I am confused about what is exactly meant by the instruction in the
documentation of my UPS: "Port must be set to run at 2400 baud"

According to the Serial-HOWTO.gz it seems to me that even fast serial
port run at 2400 baud:
     baud
        The baud rate is a measure of how many times per second a
        signal, for instance one sent by a modem (modulator-demodulator)
        changes. For example, a baud rate of 1200 implies one signal
        change every 833 microseconds. Common modem baud rates are 50,
        75, 110, 300, 600, 1200, and 2400. Most high speed modems run at
        2400 baud. Because of the bandwidth limitations on voice-grade
        phone lines, baud rates greater than 2400 are harder to achieve,
        and only work under very pristine phone line quality.

But when I do  stty -a -F /dev/ttyS1  I get

speed 38400 baud; rows 0; columns 0; line = 0; etc.
      ^^^^^

That is clearly not the same as what is meant by the HOWTO - or is it?

So how do I make sure that the port used by my UPS runs at 2400 baud?

Can somebody clear this up for me please?

Johann.

--
J.H. Spies, Hugenotestraat 29, Posbus 80, Franschhoek, 7690, South Africa
Tel/Faks 021-876-2337 Sel/Cell 082 898 1528(Johann) 082 255 2388(Hester)