Re: GR to remove non-free... Resent-Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 16:02:11 -0500 (CDT) Resent-From: debian-user@lists.debian.org Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 17:30:38 -0300 From: Rogerio Brito <rbrito@iname.com> To: RE: GR to remove non-free...

I have just recently stumbled onto this information and am NOT a Newbie.
I been using Debian for many years. I am certain that many of you will
share you opinions here. I only hope that those of you who are
developers and package maintainers view these varied but "concerned"
opinions an take heed of the range of experience indicated. I have for
some time been concerned about the overall size of the basic Debian
distro. I voiced that opinion and here will repost it. The Debian distro
would be best served by limiting the BASIC distro to those main items
covered by the GPL, LGPL etc. and in keeping with that, those should be
kept to one disk image. I think that the items in contrib and non-free
should be made available as downloads from any site willing to sponsor
the space and should be allowed to be listed as Debianized or Debian
correct applications as long as they follow the proper conventions of
installation. In short to use the .deb extension they must follow the
accepted installation convention. This is mostly a change in semantics,
but it should work and keep Debian from "forking' into several separate
distros. This is what will happen if the developers and package
maintainers do not reach some agreement soon.
--
AdVance-Computing Systems

We sell fine quality servers and workstations.
We specialize in multiprocessor units.
We install Debian Linux at no extra charge!

John Foster
jfoster@augustmail.com
ICQ# 19460173