samba passwords

hi

I've had this problem for a while, hoping someone knows what is causing it.
Users are unable to change their passwords for samba either through the SWAT
interface or through smbpasswd at the command line. THe error is:
-----
machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the session setup. Error was : ERRSRV - ERRbadpw
(Bad password - name/password pair in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are
invalid.).
Failed to change password for [user]
----
however, root can change passwords either through SWAT or the shell. I'm
using:

samba 2.0.7-2
kernel 2.2.14
shadow passwords

thanks!!

Andrew
Andrew McRobert LLB B.Sc(Comp. Sci)
IT Officer, School of Law
MURDOCH UNIVERSITY
Ph: 9360 6479
Fax: 9310 6671
e-mail: mcrobert@central.murdoch.edu.au
"The lottery: a tax on people who are bad at math"