Re: 3Com 3C920 Help

Declan Grady wrote:

> I just installed the base system on my DELL Latitiude LS400, which has a
> 3Com 3C920 adapter (3C905C-TX Compatible) but it did not find it during
> install process.
>
> Do I need to add an  ifconfig eth0 .. etc line ?
> As I'm totally new to Linux, I dont even know if I have to configure this
> manually !
>
> Also, how do I use a boot-manager (and where do I get one !) ? - I need to
> boot either W98 or debian, each on its own partition .. at present I can use
> cfdisk and fdisk to set the active partition then reboot.

lilo = Linux Loader = Bootmanager....

you can edit the lilo.conf file in /etc/lilo.conf

mine looks like this... I use it to boot Win98 and linux:

boot=/dev/hda2
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
prompt
timeout=100

image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.13
        label=old
        read-only

other=/dev/hda1
        label=win
        loader=/boot/chain.b
        table=/dev/hda

it may need some adjusting for your personal use.. (esp the
partitions...)
after you made the changes, always call lilo (as root) to write this
into the bootsector...

hope that helps
greetinx
Philipp

BTW if you want to boot win ondefault, just put that entry in front of
the linux entries...