Re: /etc/X11/Xsession changed?

On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 11:49:32AM -0500, Richard Dansereau wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> Last night I did an upgrade and I noticed that a bunch of the X11
> files were updated.  This morning I noticed that my /etc/environment
> file was not being sourced anymore.  Did /etc/X11/Xsession change
> to remove the sourcing of /etc/environment?  The manpage for X11
> suggests that it should source /etc/environment but it doesn't
> seem to be.

it was not sourcing it correctly so it simply does not read it at all
anymore, i don't quite understand why from what i gather out of the
bug report (see Xfree changelog) this should correctly source
/etc/environment:

if [ -f /etc/environment ]; then
  set -a
  . /etc/environment
  set +a
fi

this works for me.

i am not sure but i suspect that this is supposed to be taken care of
by the login program and not an Xsession, (in the console login does
it, for ssh sshd does it etc) but {x,w}dm are broken and don't source
the environment at all (/etc/profile or anything).  i always rewrite
my Xsession to source the user environment properly and implement
resource limits (since pam support in wdm is broken).

for startx it should not matter since the environment should be
inherited from your login shell.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/