unable to start X after upgrade to potato

Peter Mickle wrote:

> I have recently upgraded to potato, and after doing so, I can no
> longer open an X session, either from xdm or from startx. The version
> is 3.3.6-6.
>
> At boot time, the last two lines of the messages generated
> by the boot process are:
>
> "Checking for valid XFree86 Server configuration...unable to check
> Not starting X display manager"
>
> If I try to start with "startx", I get the following message:
>
> XSession: unable to start X sessions: no /path/.xsession found, no
> window managers, and no terminal emulators found.
>
> I have rerun xf86config. I have looked over all the related problems
> which have shown up on this list over the last week or so, and none of
> the fixes to other problems work for me.
>
> I'm lost or stuck, and I need X for my work, so any help will be
> appreciated. Thanks,
>
> Peter
>
> Peter Mickle

Peter,
I bet you are running kdm, right? Some changes were made to Xfree 3.3.6,
including the removal of parse-xf86config.

 /etc/rc.d/kdm calls parse-xf86config, but since it no longer exists, the
script exits with the error, "Can't check config" or whatever. I just
removed the offending line from the kdm script. Works for me.

As far as the startx problem, potato has changed how it handles window
mangers, look at update-alternatives to register your window manager. That
_may_ be your problem. You did do a dist-upgrade, right?

dyer