How install slackware.tgz packages?

I am working on switching to Debian (maybe) from Slackware and have some
slackware pacakges I would like to install on debian.  During the install I
noticed a package/program that said it was being installed for this express
purpose (i.e. installing rpm's and tgz's).  I don't remember the command - any
hints?  I'm mainly looking for kppp - which I found much easier to use than
pppconfig (?).
-----
Timothy Jedlicka, bonzo@lucent.com, 1-630-713-4436
Network Entomologist, Lucent Technologies, Offer Verification Testing