Re: a) telnet, b) x window setting

You can control the telnet access using /etc/hosts.allow and
/etc/hosts.deny or with ipchains (ipfwadm for pre 2.2.x kernels).

You'll find your videocard in the card-list during x configuration
(AFAIK) and you only need to know the hsync an vsync of your monitor and
IIYAMA puts that in the manual that comes with the monitor.

Ron Rademaker