Re: files/dirs under /var/www/

Olaf> I did that. Right now it looks quite safe to add directories and
Olaf> files below /var/www, but what if a new package comes along and
Olaf> decides that it needs to install all over the web pages in
Olaf> /var/www/foo?

Ethan> hmm /me thinks debian policy should treat /var/www like
Ethan> /usr/local packages should be forbidden from touching it (at
Ethan> all, even no directories) the only exception should be apache
Ethan> when first installed should be allowed to put a example
Ethan> index.html file only if /var/www did not exist upon install (as
Ethan> it works now).

Ethan> policy may already state this i don't recall (and don't have
Ethan> time to look it up atm)

I had this same dilemma and couldn't find anything on it in policy, so
I just changed DocumentRoot to /usr/local/share/www.

(Web files are mostly static anyway, why under /var?)

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
In his own soul a man bears the source