JDK 1.2.2 with potato (Silly me!)

Folks,

Thanks for  all the help  with JDK 1.2.2  on potato.  It turns  out my
problem was largely my own stupidity in writing bad Java!

I  did  learn  some  important  things.  To  install  JDK  1.2.2  from
Blackdown or Sun:

1. Make a directory under /usr/local (I used /usr/local/sun).

2. Download  the  archine into  this  directory,  then  unpack it.   A
   directory jdk1.2.2 will be created.

3. Adjust the alternatives to work correctly:

   update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/javac javac \
        usr/local/sun/jdk1.2.2/bin/javac 120
   update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java \
        usr/local/sun/jdk1.2.2/bin/java 120

4. Check your alternatives with "type"

   type javac
   type java

Particular thanks  go to Harvey  Bath for explaining  the alternatives
mechanism to me.

Simon Read

Dept. of Comp. Sci. and Info. Sys.
Clark 120