Re: Video problems during 2.2 install

On Sat, Jun 03, 2000 at 06:30:59PM -0600, Larry Elmore wrote:
> I have a 20" fixed-freq monitor that uses a special Permedia2 video
> card. It works fine except for some DOS games that like > 640x480
> resolution (like Harpoon 2 -- it doesn't _require_ higher res, but
> it's a whole _lot_ nicer with it).
>
> The Debian 2.2 boot disk apparently displays some graphic of a penguin
> when it starts up the kernel (so I've been told). All I know is that
> my monitor goes _dead_ at that point, as dead as if I pulled the cable
> from the video card. There's disk activity afterwards, and if I put in
> the root disk after it stops, and press <ENTER>, it appears to load it
> into RAM. Still no display though, which makes further progress pretty
> much impossible. Is there any way to turn off this graphic so I can
> install 2.2?

Not sure, but I don't think the framebuffer is enabled by default (this
is what'll load that penguin logo).  Anyway, you can check while doin
the installation by switching to another VT, login as root and look at
/etc/lilo.conf.  To enable the framebuffer, it'll have a line like
'append="video=vesa:..."'.  If it does have such a line, just remove it
and rerun lilo.  Otherwise, I'd say the problem is elsewhere.

?

--
¶ One·should·only·use·the·ASCII·character­set·when·compos­

» ing·email·messages.