Re: mounting cdroms

|> How do I give normal users permissions to mount cd-roms? Do I add
|> them to a group?? Which one?  Please 'CC' me in a reply.

If you put this line in /etc/fstab:

/dev/hda    /cdrom  iso9660  ro,user,noauto,unhide

then any user should be able to mount a cdrom file-system at /cdrom,
with either:

  mount /dev/hda

or:

  mount /cdrom

The device-name will probably be different on your system, of
course. If you have a symlink from /dev/cdrom to the real device-file,
I imagine you can use that instead.

The `ro' option mounts the file system as read-only.

The `user' option lets any user mount the file-system.

`noauto' means that the file-system is not automatically mounted at
boot time (presumably what's wanted in the general case)

`nohide' shows hidden and associated files.

One caution: only the user who mounts the cdrom can un-mount it again.

Hope this helps,

Jim