Re: perl and exim filter

On Sat, 3 Jun 2000 ulla.russell@pp.inet.fi wrote:

> I have recently been setting up my email on
> the linux side and decided to use a tip that
> I found in an old addition of the linux gazette.
>
> Basically the idea is to create a filter for mail
> leaving the local system. I tried to use it a few
> times but the mail keep being sent back with the
> following:
>
> 	A message that you sent could not be delivered
> 	to all of its recipients. The following address(es)
> 	failed:
>
>   	ulla.russell@pp.inet.fi:
>     	SMTP error from remote mailer after MAIL FROM:
>     	<irvine@hampaita.fi> SIZE=1412:
>     	host mail.inet.fi [192.54.155.189]:
>     	553 hampaita.fi does not exist
>
> Anyway here is the code in question.
> 	#!/usr/bin/perl
>
> 	while (<>) {
>         	if (/^From: /) {
> 			s/<.*>/<ulla.russell@pp.inet.fi>/;
> 			print;
> 			last;
> 		}
>         print;
> 	}
> 	while(<>){
> 		print;
> 	}
>

> The idea is to place a reference to this on exim.conf and it would
> be used when mail was being sent outside of the system.
> I know next to nothing about perl  and I'm not sure whether the
> author may have made a typo or the syntax may be outdated. When I
> try to source it I get the following:
>
> 	bash: /usr/local/bin/mail-filter: line 3: syntax error near unexpected t	oken `()'
>
> 	bash: /usr/local/bin/mail-filter: line 3: `while () {'

I'm afraid I won't be of much help, but whenever I check for either
hampaita.fi or pp.inet.fi I don't seem to be able to find the domains at
all:

[jortega@coimbra jortega]$ nslookup pp.inet.fi
Server:  ns3.mn.uswest.net
Address:  204.147.80.1

*** No address (A) records available for pp.inet.fi
[jortega@coimbra jortega]$ nslookup hampaita.fi
Server:  ns3.mn.uswest.net
Address:  204.147.80.1

*** ns3.mn.uswest.net can't find hampaita.fi: Non-existent host/domain

Are you sure you're not dealing with a simple name resolution and mail
problem here, as opposed to a scripting problem?

--
Nitebirdz
http://www.linuxnovice.org