RE: Moving partitions around...

Absolute safest thing to do is backup the partition (or maybe only your files).

using dpkg --get-selections and a little scripting, you can get a list of every
package on your system.  pass that data into dpkg --set-selections and you get
your old system back.  So all you really need to save is home directories,
/etc, and maybe /usr/local.

Anything else is just not safe enough in my book.  As for the physical move,
/etc/fstab will need to be touched and lilo re-ran.  Notthing else should
depend on the name of the partition I can think of.