can't access ppp

Okay, I have two laptops, neither with a modem, both
with ppp configured to be used with an external modem
on the serial port (I mean the actual physical serial
port)
One of them connects fine.  The other opens a
connection, and plog shows it ping-ponging EchoReq's
and EchoRep's every 30 seconds as usual, however all
of my internet programs fail to connect to anything.
It appears they do not recognize that the ppp
connection is open and that they can use it and return
the usual gamut of errors to be expected when one is
not connected at all.

The only difference between the two machines in
configuration is that the one which doesn't work for
some reason has the slip kernel module.  I don't
really know why; I tried removing it from /etc/modules
but the problem is still there.  Could this module
have anything to do with it (seeing as it is clearly
not needed here?)

=====
Fish of Borg
Visit me on the web!  http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Frontier/4874/stccg.html
///Archaeologists near mount Sinai have discovered what appears to be a missing page from the Bible.  The page is currently being carbon dated in Bonn.  If genuine it belongs at the beginning of the Bible and is believed to read "To my Darling Candy.  All Characters portrayed within this book are fictitious and any resemblance to persons living or dead is entirely coincidental."///Red Dwarf