Re: Postfix configuration

On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 07:30:06PM -0400, S. Salman Ahmed wrote:
> May 31 19:14:33 phoenix postfix/qmgr[8904]: 1EE76FF50: from=<root@phoenix.phoenix>, size=18246 (queue active)

> I had commented the two lines in /etc/postfix/master.cf that started
> with smtp hoping to fix this problem but it still persists. I need
> suggestions on how setup Postfix for local delivery of email only (no
> outgoing mail, etc.).

The problem you're currently seeing is that you disabled SMTP - you need
to reenable the SMTP services in master.cf.  You shouldn't need to
modify master.cf at all unless you are running on a very small machine.
Take a look at the documentation in /usr/share/doc/postfix/html
(basically, a copy of the website) and the sample configuration files -
it's really very well done.

From the above, it seems that Postfix is generating mail in the domain
"phoenix.phoenix" but doesn't recognise that that's the local system and
so tries to deliver it elsewhere.

 myorigin = domain.for.mail
 mydestination = domain.for.mail.
 relayhost = isp.mail.server

where domain.for.mail is whatever should appear to the right of the @ in
e-mail from your system.  If you don't have something that's yours alone
to put in there then you'll need to ensure that mail gets rewritten
appropriately (look at cannonical maps in the documentation).

Like I say, the documentation is very well done.  There's some examples
for dialup systems in there.

If this doesn't help, could you explain what your setup is like (ie,
where you get mail from and how it should go out) and post the output
of "postconf -n".

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/