can surf but not ping outside

hello list:

i recently updated my kernel becuase i wanted to ip masq. and felt that if i needed to compile, might as well compile for a reason, to upgrade too!  2.2.15 w/ 2.1 debian

anyways i have ipchains set up, my policies are as follows
ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.1.0/24 -j MASQ

i can now surf the internet from my inside network but CAN NOT PING anything but my own gateway!

when i try to ping, my error is as follows:
icmplog:  desination unreachable from localhost 127.0.0.1
icmplog:  desination unreachable from  pbi.net (my dsl)

i can look up the DNS but can seem to match up the IP

how do i correct this problem either with ipchains or modprobing?