potato upgrade sound problem with Yamaha OPL3-SA2

hello everyone,

i wonder if anyone might be able to help me or if anyone has had a
similar problem. Since upgrading to potato i've been unable to get
sound to work. I know looking in the archives that this sort of
problem seems to occur regularly but i haven't yet found a solution.

i've got a Yamaha OPL3-SA2 chip on my motherboard (which worked under
slink). My version of potato is up-to-date as of 31/05/00 and i'm
running kernel version 2.2.15. I can get sound by playing audio cds
directly but no other way, for instance:

$ play *.wav
> playing *.wav
> sox: Invalid audio buffer size 0

$ mpg123 *.mp3
[..]
> Can't open /dev/dsp!

When i try to load the opl3sa2 module I get the following problem:

$ insmod opl3sa2 io=0x100 mss_io=0xE80 mpu_io=0x300 irq=10 dma=1 dma2=3
> Using /lib/modules/2.2.15/misc/opl3sa2.o
> /lib/modules/2.2.15/misc/opl3sa2.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
> Hint: this error can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> including invalid IO or IRQ parameters

These are the settings that i was happily using before the
upgrade. 'isapnp' seems to be happy with them. My /etc/isapnp.conf
file looks like:

(ISOLATE)
(IDENTIFY *)
(CONFIGURE YMH0030/2156265473 (LD 0
(IO 0 (BASE 0x0220))
(IO 1 (BASE 0x0E80))
(IO 2 (BASE 0x0388))
(IO 3 (BASE 0x0300))
(IO 4 (BASE 0x0100))
(INT 0 (IRQ 10 (MODE +E)))
(DMA 0 (CHANNEL 1))
(DMA 1 (CHANNEL 3))))
(WAITFORKEY)

and "isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf" gives:

> Board 1 has Identity cb 80 86 00 01 30 00 a8 65:  YMH0030 Serial No
2156265473 [checksum cb]

I've tried many, many other combinations of possible io/irq/dma
settings to no avail. I'm stumped, especially since i can't spot any
io/irq's that clash with the above choice (or any others that i've
tried).

$ cat /proc/interrupts
>          CPU0
>   0:     902274          XT-PIC  timer
>   1:      15151          XT-PIC  keyboard
>   2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>  12:      24835          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
>  13:          1          XT-PIC  fpu
>  14:      78939          XT-PIC  ide0
>  15:        414          XT-PIC  ide1
> NMI:          0

$ cat /proc/ioports
> 0000-001f : dma1
> 0020-003f : pic1
> 0040-005f : timer
> 0060-006f : keyboard
> 0080-008f : dma page reg
> 00a0-00bf : pic2
> 00c0-00df : dma2
> 00f0-00ff : fpu
> 0170-0177 : ide1
> 01f0-01f7 : ide0
> 0376-0376 : ide1
> 0378-037a : parport0
> 03c0-03df : vga+
> 03f6-03f6 : ide0
> 03f8-03ff : serial(set)
> fcd0-fcd7 : ide0
> fcd8-fcdf : ide1

$ cat /proc/dma
> 4: cascade

As you can see the following doesn't look good:
$ cat /dev/sndstat
> SS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
> Load type: Driver loaded as a module
> Kernel: Linux tonic 2.2.15 #1 Thu Jun 1 16:24:23 BST 2000 i686
> Config options: 0
>
> Installed drivers:
>
> Card config:
>
> Audio devices:
>
> Synth devices:
>
> Midi devices:
>
> Timers:
> 0: System clock
>
> Mixers:

the modules that i have got to load look like:

$ lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by
[..]
> opl3                   11304   0
> ad1848                 16752   0
> mpu401                 19184   0
> sound                  57452   0  [opl3 ad1848 mpu401]
> soundcore               2564   3  [sound]

If anyone can shed any sort of light on my problem i'd be very
grateful. I currently feel like i'm going round in circles. I've read
all the documentation that i can find but have not yet had any luck.
That said, it wouldn't surprise me if i was doing something stupid. If
there is any other information about my setup that might be relevant -
i'll happily provide it.

Very much looking forward to your ideas,
TIA,

steve

--
steve felderhof (stephenf@anc.ed.ac.uk)
institute for adaptive and neural computation,