Re: lp: driver loaded but no devices found

On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 06:37:57PM -0700, Eric G . Miller wrote:
> On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 05:23:56PM -0600, Art Lemasters wrote:
> >     When I reboot and run dmesg, it says, "lp: driver loaded but no
> > devices found"  If I try to print from mutt, the error message says,
> > "jobs queued but cannot start daemon"  This happens on a potato
> > system.
> >
> >     What's the answer?  Is it in a config file related to kmod?
>
> Have you configured the parport_pc (io, irq, dma)?  You may also want to
> fiddle with the BIOS configuration of the parport communication system.
>
> For instace, I have:
>
> options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7 dma=5
>
> in /etc/modutils/aliases (run update-modules after editing). Typical PC
> hardware will be similar, but you may need to consult you manuals or
> BIOS.

     I forgot to enable the parallel port in the BIOS setup!  arghh!
I feel stupid.  ;-)  But working my way around the newer file system
changes for module loading needed to be done, and thank you very much
for the info.  It's worth doing too, for FS orientation, if nothing
else.

     After returning the Lexmark Z11 (as a Lexmark rep. told me that
the I/O for it is a "trade secret"), I bought the HP DeskJet 612C.  Lo
and behold, the Printing How-To holds much information on printer
compatibility.  Now, to compile the 2.2.15 kernel to see if the printer
needs a driver.

     Thanks again, all of you, for all of the help on this.  In the long
run, the learning is what's important, and no info on Linux is extraneous.

Art