Re: problems with downloading

|> man apt-get says:
|> "An  update  should  always  be  performed before an upgrade
|> dist-upgrade."

I had done `apt-get update' before each attempted upgrade step.

A number of people have been having these problems (judging by the
list).

I just kept trying, and eventually it half-worked (about half the
files were downloaded before the 404 errors started coming again).  I
used `apt-get --fix-missing upgrade' to install what I could; waited a
bit, `apt-get update' again; tried again; about half of the remaining
files were downloaded before the 404 errors started coming. Installed
what I could; waited a bit; tried again. And this time, all of the
remaining files were downloaded. I think it took three tries; maybe it
was four; but in all but the last, I got what looked initially like a
normal download, and then a series of 404 errors.

Some of the downloads were very slow (hanging for several minutes at
the same point).

Once I got the files, the upgrade was very smooth,

Jim