sendmail problem

I just did an update of potato today for the first time in over a month
(I recently moved and am finally getting caught up with things).  After
the update I found that I could not send any mail.  /var/log/mail.log
showed an error message: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(nielsen): cannot
chdir(/var/spool/mqueue): Permission denied

I added myself to group mail and added write permissions for mail to
/var/spool/mqueue and can now send mail again, but was wondering if
this would cause any security problems.  Is there a better way to
handle the permissions problem?

mail.log also shows (still) the following error: mci_lock_host: cannot
create host lock file /var/lib/sendmail/host_status/net./oz./mail:
Permission denied

Is this something I should be concerned about?

Bob

--
Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          nielsen@oz.net
Bainbridge Island, WA                      http://www.oz.net/~nielsen