A perplexing conundrum... Wingate/Linux

Alright people, I've got a question for you all.
We have a multi-machine LAN set up in the house using Coax cables. My parents each have a Win98 comp, my mom's is connected to the Net and she passes it to us using Wingate. We have a registered copy, so no need to worry there. The problem, however, lies in that I am running a dual Linux-Win98 machine (the Win98 comes out very soon after I solve this, and a few more, problems) and I would like to access the Net. Now, following typical parent protocol, they intend to maintain control of the Net connection, so I can't set my machine up as the server and use IP masquerading as has been suggested in other messages of this nature. I've got the Network (dual IPX and TCP/IP) working such that I can ping the other people, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get my comp to link into Wingate. If there is a way, can you explain it? I've tried setting it as a proxy under Netscape, using it as my defaul gateway, etc., but it doesn't seem to be working. Can someone who's managed to solve a similar problem tell me how to do this? I would appreciate it a lot.

Signed,
  Ian Neufeld