Re: how to change the order of directories PATH is searched?

"john smith" <inquirer23@hotmail.com> writes:

> I do not understand why all of a sudden some commands for root are not
> found (like adduser,ldconfig etc) looking at my path I found out that
> /usr/sbin,/sbin are not there anymore!!! strange? anyway, when I added
> them again to my path everythings back to normal now. I wonder what
> could have caused them to dissappear from my path?. now my question is
> I would like /usr/sbin and /sbin to be the first directories searched
> in my path instead them being the last directories searched (I used
> the command export PATH=$PATH:/blah blah to add them but they are the
> last directories searched. I'd like to move them to be the first
> directories searched.

The sbin directories are usually not added to the path of a non-root
user.  I'm guessing that you used su to become root, which doesn't
change your enviornment (e.g. your path) by default.  You can `man su'
to find the right parameter for this or, better yet, use sudo.

HTH,

cbb