Re: X on a 486

Atila,

I believe you are correct re: Netscape being the time/mem culprit. I
have a 486DX66 w/24Mb RAM Debian test box and use fvwm2 (a.k.a. fvwm
now) quite nicely. I installed Netscape6 and, yes, it worked but like
molasses in January.

I opted for removing Netscape completely and using a very nice
text-based browser called w3m-ssl on my Debian box. BTW, w3m-ssl is a
potato package.

Since I also have a PII machine, I do my Netscape browsing on that. If
you have the luxury of a second machine, you might want to try going
that route on your 486.

Otherwise, sure, more mem never hurts, but as I recall Netscape6 also
took up 41Mb of hard disk space. That was the deciding factor here.

montefin