Rage IIc AGP & X => no vt's!

Well, the subject kind of nutcases the situation.
Since I changed to a nice 17" siemens monitor and a Rage IIc
AGP card, there's only vt7(X) available. When I try any other
vt, the screen blanks as if there's no input. I tried running
the mach64-xserver, but that only gave me a bunch of screens
on top of eachother, so I'm still using the svga-server
(1280x1024, 16bpp). Maybe the card can't figure out (or
something doesn't tell it) how to get back to a standard
text-screen? I'm quite sure it's related to the x-server, as I
get normal text-screen when booting.
btw: this happened before upgrading to potato -maybe the
potato mach-server is better?
Regards
Vitux

--