Re: Intro and it seems that W3.1 can see beyond the partition barriers!

At 13.28 29/5/00 +0300, Shaul Karl ha escrit:
>I am guessing but I hope it will worth something:
>
>1) I do believe that having Win think it got the whole disk for itself might
>be a problem if it will try to use the part that is not belong to it.
Although
>in this case it might fail and return an error without damaging anything.

	Mmm... It is logical.

>2) Does the 2 fdisk (the dos one and the Debian one) notices the 2
partitions?

	Yes. I copy here my answer to an answer I got from Vitux:

	dev/hda1: DOS-16 bit >=32M of 100 Mb
	dev/hda2: Extended (marked as bootable)
	dev/hda5: a 950 Mb partition for Linux native.
	dev/hda6: a 50 Mb partition for swap.

	From the DOS fdisk I see now:

	Primary partition: 100 Mb
	Extended partition: 1Gb with logical partitions. Would you like to see the
info on logical partitions? (Y)

	No logical partitions defined. Total size of extended DOS partition: 1051 Mb

>3) I suspect that OnTrack is the problem. Why do you need it anyway?
Having a
>100M + 900M does put the beginning of both partitions and the whole Win
>partition under the BIOS 528M limit, doesn't it?

	Well... You are right. But BIOS does not give the correct CHS values of
the HDD, and as far as I know DOS is BIOS-dependant...

	Another thing that defends Ontrack is the following strange situation that
I also replied to Vitux:

|	Norton DD told me the HDD was full of damaged clusters, but I stopped it
and I applied Ontrack support for large drives to the DOS boot |diskette.
Then there were no errors.

	Before applying Ontrack support, I tried Scandisk and it told me there was
something wrong w/ configuration, that if I'd continue M$ would not be
responsible for nothing. I obeyed it. On the other hand (and this are
speculations), I applied an extensive test to the disk w/ Ontrack Data
Advisor (it seems that I work for Ontrack). The good thing about Disk
Manager (the first one) is that is not BIOS-dependant at all, so I thought
Data Advisor was too. Data Advisor told me the disk was in a good condition.

	If you have not got bored with this situation, I suggest you to read the
letter I sent ot Vitux. You'll find more info there.

	Thank you, Shaul.

	Ignasi