Re: How to start Gnome

On Sun, May 28, 2000 at 05:33:59PM -0700, Jay Kelly wrote:
> Ok I still trying to locate the file needed to change so I can start Gnome
> from the console. In you email you said /.xinitrc. What the path to that
> file. I did a locate .xinitrc and could find it. Have any idea's?

It doesn't exist by default. Simply create one in your home directory.
But, Debian is set-up to ~/.xsession by default (the ~ means $HOME
directory) and it'll work using both startx and xdm (and friends).

Procedure:

1.  Open a text editor (ae, joe, jed, pico, vi, vim, emacs, others..)
2.  Type in these items (not the hyphens..)
---------------------
#! /bin/sh
exec gnome-session
3.  Save the file as /home/<your username>/.xsession
4.  Quit the text editor.
5.  type 'chmod +x ~/.xsession' at the prompt (make executable)
6.  run startx

Assumes you already have a working X system...

--
¶ One·should·only·use·the·ASCII·character­set·when·compos­

» ing·email·messages.