Second Best - was Re: Best Hardware

~~~~
Bart Szszka wrote:

Well see, that's what I mean. There's hardware that is great on Windows, but there just aren't any drivers for it in Linux. Or sometimes the second best hardware for Windows ends up being the best option for Linux simply because
the drivers are more complete.
~~~~

I had never thought of it like that but Bart is right.  Many of us using Linux would be producing drivers for cheaper and therefore, older equipment.  This is because Linux and it's users have not been franchised like those using Microsoft.  Microsoft has a vast corporate base buying it's products.  Therefore, hardware vendors have been writing for or bundling Bill's OS in with their products.  Till now.

I am switching our LAN at work from Windows NT 4 to Debian Linux with the help of one of the Debian gurus.  I am lucky I work for a company that affords me the opportunity to build a server from scratch with no monetary restrictions.

As more of us do this, more drivers will be written for the newer, more expensive hardware beyond the reach of the average home Linux user.  Hardware companies will want to insure drivers are available for Linux because of Linux's growing popularity.

But I think it is a tribute to Linux that it is growing, not with corporate bucks and big equipment - but with people who know their stuff and not motivated by money.  The best equipment, well, it's the stuff within reach that gets the job done.  Lets face it, there is something in the fact that Linux *will* run on a 386.  Try that with Windows NT!  Just my two cents.

Rob