Re: Login without user name and password?

On Sat, May 27, 2000 at 10:15:45PM +0000, ktb wrote:
> I there any way to configure Slink to boot directly into a 'regular
> user' account without entering user name or password?  In other words
> boot directly into a '$' prompt but requiring a password for root.  I'm
> using shadow passwords.
> Thanks,
> kent

Yes, but it's an unspeakably evil and twisted thing to do, if it
involves bypassing password protections on the user account.

Let's put it this way:  I can think of several ways you might do this,
but I'd be far more comfortable knowing what it is you're trying to
accomplish, and whether or not you're aware of alternatives or the
potential downside implications, before I provide any advice.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>         http://www.netcom.com/~kmself
  Evangelist, Opensales, Inc.                       http://www.opensales.org