Re: Upgrade Problem

On Sat, May 27, 2000 at 09:17:18PM -0700, Jay Kelly wrote:
> Hello Guys, I have a qestion on Xwindows. I had it working great with
> Slink, Then I upgraded my box to Potato. Now when I try to start X I
> receive an error:
>
> "Fatal server error: could not open font `fixed`

Common error...

> So what will I need to do to fix this so I can use X again?  Thanks
> Jay

Depends...

First, you need to have xfonts-base, and probably xfonts-100dpi and
xfonts-75dpi installed.  They may have gotten removed for some reason
(??).

Next, look at /etc/X11/XF86Config near the top will be one or more
FontPath declarations.  If they are typical unix paths, make sure they
all exist and are correct (/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc, etc...). On the
other hand, if you have something like "unix/:7100" then you need to be
running a font server on that port (typically xfs, or xfs-xtt). So, make
sure the font server is running by executing "/etc/init.d/xfs restart".
If the server won't start, it probably has configuration errors. Check
/etc/X11/xfs/config for the font paths. It's probably as simple as this
later case, X wouldn't start because the font server needed to be
restarted.

That should do it.

--
¶ One·should·only·use·the·ASCII·character­set·when·compos­

» ing·email·messages.