Tulip ethernet performance issues

Hi gang,

I know that this has come up on the list recently, but I haven't really
seen anything that has helped me solve this little problem.

I have a couple of tulip-based ethernet cards (I think they are made by
Acton, and may certainly be re-badged), one in my Debian box and one in
my win98 box. They are connected together by an 8-port 10/100 switch
(specifically a LanTech MINI Switch 800 (8 port 10/100 Base-TX Switch)
according to the front panel).

The performance that I'm getting through this network is significantly
less than I'd be expecting. In fact, it seems to be slower than the 10M
hub that I had previously.

I've just transfered a fairly large file from my Linux machine to my
Win98 machine using the Win98 FTP client (the console based one), and
here is what it said when it finished:

370238462 bytes recieved in 1872.52 secs 197.72 Kbytes/sec.

With only 2 pcs, both with 10/100 tulip cards, over a 100M switch, I
would have expected a much better transfer rate. (there is nothing else
connected to the switch).

Here are some diagnostics:

Linux rei 2.2.15 #1 Fri May 5 18:30:12 EST 2000 i586 unknown

tulip-diag.c:v1.19 10/2/99 Donald Becker (becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov)
Index #1: Found a Digital DS21143 Tulip adapter at 0x6c00.
 Port selection is 100mbps-SYM/PCS 100baseTx scrambler, full-duplex.
 Transmit started, Receive started, full-duplex.
  The Rx process state is 'Waiting for packets'.
  The Tx process state is 'Idle'.
  The transmit unit is set to store-and-forward.
  The NWay status register is 41e1d2cd.
  Internal autonegotiation state is 'Negotiation complete'.
 Use '-a' or '-aa' to show device registers,
     '-e' to show EEPROM contents, -ee for parsed contents,
  or '-m' or '-mm' to show MII management registers.

           CPU0
  0:     460597          XT-PIC  timer
  1:      10326          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  4:       5129          XT-PIC  serial
  5:       6112          XT-PIC  soundblaster
  8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
 10:     286851          XT-PIC  eth0
 12:       8685          XT-PIC  aic7xxx
 13:          1          XT-PIC  fpu
 14:     151229          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:     738283          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:40:C7:9A:01:5F
          inet addr:192.168.13.1  Bcast:192.168.13.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          TX packets:259454 errors:12590 dropped:0 overruns:4 carrier:12586
          collisions:820 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:10 Base address:0x6c00

Particularly worrying, I guess, is the error, collisions, etc on the
ethernet card (I had rebooted just before this large transfer). On my
machine at work, with has a 3Com 509 which is also attached to a switch,
with 3.5million packets transfered, there has not been a single error or
collision (There should never be a collision with a switch, should
there? I though that was the idea!).

Can anyone suggest any possible solutions? Is it likely the card is
dodgy (it worked fine, and fast with a 100M hub that I had, but I
couldn't attach my laptop to that, as it only had a 10M pcmcia card), or
might it be an interaction between the card and the hub? Is it work
shelling out for a new card?

Any advice would be appreciated!

cheers,

damon

--
Damon Muller (dm-sig6@empire.net.au) /  It's not a sense of humor.
* Criminologist                     /  It's a sense of irony

- Running Debian GNU/Linux: Doing my bit for World Domination (tm) -